Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Big and Bad

Last year the New Yorker ran an article called "Big and Bad" which you can read here:

http://www.gladwell.com/2004/2004_01_12_a_suv.html

The article is a fascinating discussion of the unexpected rise of the S.U.V., why people buy them, and how safe they are. According to the article, industry market research shows that “SUVs tend to be bought by people who are insecure, vain, self-centered, and self-absorbed, who are frequently nervous about their marriages, and who lack confidence in their driving skills”. If true, I guess that explains why SUV drivers seem to be the biggest jerks on the road.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link; that was fascinating. I enjoyed the discussion on reptilian vs. cortex thinking with regard to safety.

I've only ever been in an SUV once (as a passenger), and I believe it was a Lincoln Navigator. It felt like I was taking a ride in someone's living room... just like they say in the article, it was soft, comfy, soothing, and so damn high that I almost felt disconnected from the road. It felt... weird.

Wed Aug 03, 08:52:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home