Thursday, August 11, 2005

The End of an Era

Recently I found out from my friend Phil that the ManRay Club in Cambridge (http://www.manrayclub.com/) is closed. It makes me a little sad to hear this news, although I have to admit that my first experience there was a bit uncomfortable.

Over Christmas Break in college my friend Dianne asked if I wanted to go to this place to see "interpretations of Grimm's fairy tales". Since all of my other friends were home for break and I welcomed the chance to get out of my dingy dorm room, I told her I would go along. I had no idea we were going to a club, much less a goth club. (As an innocent young woman from the midwest, I didn't even realize that those things existed outside of the movies!) In fact, I thought we were headed to an auditorium of some sort to hear a lecture about the fairytales. When we got to ManRay I remember being totally shocked and trying not to stare too much at all of the club-goers, who were garbed in leather/PVC, chains, and freaky make-up. Shortly after we arrived, Dianne found a woman she had a crush on, so basically I was entertaining myself on the dance floor from then on. After dancing with myself for what seemed like an eternity, I kept wondering, "When are these damn interpretations supposed to happen?" Before I knew it, the stage I happened to be dancing next to came to life and I had a front-row view of an "interpretation" of Hansel & Gretel, which involved a lot of g-strings and whipping. I couldn't believe I was watching this, and kept praying that they weren't going to ask for audience volunteers. Fortunately they didn't, although I was almost tackled by a large guy who climbed on stage after the performance, roared, and then jumped into the crowd. At this point I indicated to Dianne that I was ready to leave.

Later in my college career I went back to ManRay several times and had a much more pleasant experience. I think it's partly because I knew what I was getting into and partly because I was with better friends. I never saw another S&M performance there, but I enjoyed the music and people-watching. To hear that this place is closing makes me feel like a part of my personal history is gone.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow I live down the street from good old manray. That club fills a needed niche in the area (lots of freaks in Central Square) Also good 80s music. I've gotten a bit slow and old, so I haven't been out in ages. I'll get the scoop, report back, and let you know what name it reopens under

Fri Aug 12, 05:51:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Philip said...

Lao: it's closing because the owner of the building is going to tear it down and build an apartment building. As far as I know, when the club does reopen it'll keep the same name, just have a new location.

Amy: You didn't link back to my journal! :-)

Also, I laughed out loud as soon as I read "interpretations of Grimm's fairy tales," because I knew what that was going to mean, and sure enough I was right. Too bad it was an uncomfortable first experience - S&M performances aren't my thing either - but it's good to know you gave the club another chance. Like Lao says, they always played good 80s music, and I agree with her that the club does fill a needed niche. Hope they find a new space soon.

Sat Aug 13, 12:55:00 AM PDT  
Blogger AKP said...

Sorry Phil. Everyone, check out Phil's journal in my "links" list!

Sat Aug 13, 08:36:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow sad, I gues apts fill a needed niche in cambridge. Especially new ones sans rodents and cockroaches

Mon Aug 15, 06:10:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home